The next issue—#17—will be showcasing the winners of the inaugural The Quarry-Future Leaders Creative Writing Prize, and the best work by emerging creative writers and alumni from the Faculty of Arts. See the call for submissions below.
This prize has been enabled by the generous support of Helen Sykes OAM and Future Leaders, a philanthropic organisation that recognizes and supports the achievements of young Australians.The winning authors and entries will be announced early September.
This year’s judges are Claire Catacouzinos, graduate – Major in Creative Writing and Master of Creative Writing, former editor of The Quarry, and current editor of The Schools Magazine; Sarah Campbell, graduate of the Master of Creative Writing, content writer and ‘Roll Your Own Adventure’ podcaster, and Aileen Westbrook, student in the Creative Writing Major, and award-winning short story writer.
Call for Submissions issue #17
Writers, submit your best new work to #17 of The Quarry, the Faculty of Art’s student creative writing journal. This issue’s theme is open, though we’re looking for speculative or realist, experimental or genre-based writing that engages in some way with the world as we know it now. We want to see creative works that encourage us to encounter unexpected aspects of how we are living ‘now’, or to renew and energize our understanding of something familiar. Your writing might be dystopian, futuristic, contemporary, or historical. How you interpret this ‘now’ is up to you and your imagination. Your writing doesn’t need to deal with Covid-19 or lock-down (unless you want it to). To submit, go to the Submit link below.
Deadline for Submissions: Sunday midnight, 4th October.
Who can submit? Anyone who is either a graduate or a current Undergraduate or Postgraduate student of the MQ Faculty of Arts is eligible to submit.
What can be submitted?
- Short stories, Creative Nonfiction, Poetry.
- No scripts. No journalism, no feature journalism.
- Word limit: 2500 words for prose. Poetry negotiable – max 30 lines. No epics.
- All works submitted must have been previously unpublished in print or online, and not currently submitted elsewhere.
- Multiple entries are permitted, however each work must be entered as a single individual work with a separate form (except for thematically linked set of micro fictions or poetry submitted as a single work).
- Entries must be submitted electronically via Submittable.com.
- Works already submitted to The Quarry-Future Leaders Creative Writing Prize should not be resubmitted.
- Works previously submitted to The Quarry and not accepted for publication should not be resubmitted.
- SUBMIT HERE
Call-outs for new work for future issues and for our writing competitions are made through The Quarry Facebook and in iLearn student announcements in the Faculty of Arts’ undergraduate and postgraduate writing units.
We publish work by students and alumni of the Faculty of Arts creative writing, creative arts, and media courses. Proposals for themed issues are welcome from students and alumni with experience in journal editing and WordPress. Contact Jane Messer, for more information on submitting an EOI. firstname.lastname@example.org